1.19.2010

I'm on the wrong side of an afterschool special.

today was the first day of classes for this semester. I had to write an essay on critical thinking, giving an example of how it's used from personal experience.

my professor will love me or loathe me.

---

I’m a sucker for schedules, order, and doing things in a timely manner. Efficiency and quality are what I strive for. I am usually pressed for time, and one morning I was in a serious rush to get to class. One must eat before a long day of mental expenditure, and I was craving a sandwich. Not knowing if I’d have enough time to construct my tasty masterpiece, I had to quickly factor in my time restraints and my level of hunger.

I thought quickly. Deciding on a few key ingredients, I chose to create a bacon-turkey-cheese sandwich. What should I do first? A linear thought later, what will take the most time to cook? So I slapped a few bacon slices down on a griddle, and had an order-up on the stovetop of some crispy, bacon perfection in a few mere minutes.

In the meantime, I pondered, what do I need to have to start building the foundation of my sandwich? I needed some toasted bread. I unwrapped the loaf and slid a pair of slices down the toaster, and they popped out looking delectably crunchy.

Next were turkey, cheese, and some pre-cut vegetables, all of which were ready for consumption directly out of the package. I grabbed a newly hardened slice of wheat bread, hastily piled the fillings one on top of another, tossed the bacon on top of it all, and smashed the top slice of bread down on what was the most delicious looking sandwich made in ten minutes ever. I sheathed my creation in a quilted paper towel and started chomping down on what was, to this day, one of the most ambrosial sandwiches I’ve ever made. I guess I work well under pressure.

If I hadn’t have thought so critically about how to go about concocting a meal in a hurry, I may have missed out on one of the most scrumptious sandwiches that has been consumed on the planet Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment